Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Flashback Run

On Sunday, February 6, 2011 I ran 6.5 miles. It was a special run for many reasons. For one, it was my longest run to date. I was training for my first half marathon. Which brings me to the second reason it was special - it was half of the 13.1 mile distance that I would complete 3.5 months later on race day.

On that chilly winter day I remember heading out mid-afternoon. I decided to go up West River Drive, a road I don't normally run on. I find it boring. It's right on the highway. I rarely run there, even now. I ran about 3.25 miles out until I got to the turn around point at a parking lot. I remember stopping for about five minutes and walking around in circles. 6.5 miles was a big deal. It was only when I had run 6 miles consecutively, just a week earlier, that I has actually started to feel like a real runner. Something about being able to run for one hour straight made me feel like the real deal. After my walk break I turned around a headed back home.

I don't remember the run back, but I do remember exactly how I felt when I was finished. I was both elated and disappointed. Yes, I had completed my longest run so far, but it had felt extremely challenging. The only thought running through my head was "how the hell am I supposed to run DOUBLE that distance?" It seemed impossible.

I don't remember a lot of my runs. How could I? I've been running 5-6 times a week for over a year. But I always remember that run for some reason. At some point yesterday I decided I was going to run that 6.5 mile route. I haven't run it since that day in February.

Blurry pictures are my specialty
It was 59 degrees out, on the first day of winter no less, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to wear shorts. I had hoped it would be a tempo run, but the heat caught me off guard (next time nix the long sleeves). I was drenched in sweat by the time I got home. Even though I struggled, I still finished more than 4 minutes faster than I had almost 11 months ago.

Sometimes we forget just how far we've come. A route that was once my weekend long run is now just part of my average mid-week mileage. I had so many doubts on that day about whether or not I'd actually be able to run a half marathon. Yet 3.5 months later that's exactly what I did. And I did it again 4 months after that. And then two months after that I ran a marathon. And now, in 16 days, I'll be tackling my first ultra.

The point is, you'll be surprised what you are capable of. It's easy to get caught up in disappointments and always thinking that you need to do better. That's why I like doing runs like this. It makes me appreciate all of the progress I've made.

Is there are specific run or workout that you go back to every so often to see hwo far you've come?


Don't forget to VOTE for me to join Team Refuel! Vote 'Kristin Hoeberlein' once a day now through January 15th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!