Thursday, December 1, 2011

The End is Near

Last week when I was home for Thanksgiving I caught an infomercial on tv for this monstrosity:


This isn't the first product designed to induce or enhance a sluggish lifestyle (did someone say Snuggie?) and perhaps I just haven't been paying attention to commercials like these, of which I'm sure there have been many similar, but for whatever reason this one really caught my attention. And it left me wondering: Really America? For realz?

Though the infomercial begins by describing the inefficiency of "normal blankets" (in true informercial formula fashion), it quickly becomes clear that while a Forever Lazy jumpsuit (is that what we would call it?) will undoubtedly keep you warm, this company is really gunning for those people who loathe any sort of physical activity and probably already spend too much time "being lazy."

Of course with taglines like:


And color choices with names like:


How could one possibly resist!?! This company has clearly thought of every convenience when designing this item. In fact you don't even have to burn the calories taking it off to go to the bathroom!


I suppose I shouldn't be suprised that this "thing" exists, especially given that our goverment just declared pizza sauce as a vegetable. How could I possibly expect more? Why shouldn't people try to capitilize on all of the already unhealthy and obese American people? Why bother exercising or eating healthy at all when you can easily purchase, for the low price of $29.95, a frumpy, expandable, shapeless jumpsuit that will hide everything?

As much as I'd like to think that our species is progressing, things like this make me mourn for our future generations. In 50 years will we all be motorizing around on segways wearing gray Forever Lazys?

2 comments:

  1. Right there with you in being scared/amazed/disgusted for the future of humanity.

    Have you seen Idiocracy? Amusing movie...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have seen that movie and I think it's hysterical! However, everytime I see it I can't help but be horrified more and more that we may actually end up like that. Scary indeed!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!