Monday, December 5, 2011

A Different Kind of Plan

It's been two weeks since the marathon. Since then I've enjoyed a non-training, free to run as I please recovery period. Now, it's time to get back to it. I've got a big race on the horizon!

On June 2, 2012 I plan to run the North Face Endurance Challenge 50-Miler in Washington DC. Registration doesn't open until January, but I'm banking on a spot. Along the way to my 50-miler I have a few shorter races set up: two 50ks, two half marathons, and a 10-miler.

I've spent the last 50 out of 53 weeks on a training plan, starting exactly a year ago in December 2010, when I started training for my first half marathon. After that was over, I took a week off and started training again with the same plan for my first marathon, only modifying the mileage. I don't mind always being in "training" mode, but I'll tell you one thing: I'm freaking sick of my plan! I'm ready to change it up and here's how I'm going to do it:

1. Sunday Saturday Long Runs:

I'm so sick of having a long run on Sunday. I wait the whole weekend for it. As well, I've been doing all of my homework on Sundays so between 20 miles and five hours of translations that doesn't really leave a whole lot of room for anything else. Sure, this means I can't have my routine Friday night dinner glass of wine. But hey, now I can look forward to doing that on Saturday night instead. I'm officially taking Sundays back!

2. Six Five Days of Running Per Week:

Sorry, I don't practice what my blog title preaches. Running six days is a lot to fit in, a lot to think about, a lot to work around. It's also not a whole lot of time not running. Even though my mileage will undoubtedly get higher than marathon training, by running five days instead of six I'm hoping to decrease my scheduling-related stress. This is not to say that I won't run six days a week at all during my new cycle, but I'm only officially scheduling five days of runs. This also leaves more days for other fun things like swimming or spin or yoga (or rest I suppose).

3. Local Destination Runs:

I'm ready to get the heck out of Philly and run some new places! I can't promise that this will happen for every long run, but I hope that at least once a month I can make it out to explore a new state park to get in 20+ miles. Bonus if it is a trail run. That will certainly come in handy.

4. Constant Mileage Increases Cutback Weeks:

Curiously enough my original half marathon training plan from Hal Higdon (which was later augmented to be a full marathon training plan) had alternating weeks of high mileage and cutbacks. Unfortunately (for myself) I'm too cocky so I nixed the cutback weeks and changed it to a consistant weekly mileage increase kind of training plan. That's now screwed me twice, once for each big race. For my half it was my knee. For the full my shins. No way no how am I'm going for three out of three!

In addition to preventing injury, cutback weeks have another benefit, a mental benefit. You're not going to be on your game, in the mood for training all of the time. Especially when your training plan extends over six months. By introducing cutback mileage every other week or so I will get to look forward to easier weeks every seven to fourteen days. Even if an "easier week" becomes 45 mpw. It's all relative right?

Stay tuned for the 50-miler training plan unveil! *Gasp* I know you're all on the edge of your seats.

6 comments:

  1. I 100% agree on cutback weeks. I try to do 2 tough weeks and 1 rest week. So far, that seems to be working for me. :)

    Good luck with your training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan.
    I hear you on switching up long runs from Sundays to Saturdays, have been doing that the last few weeks...mainly due to weather but I really like it.

    Similar sentiment regarding the monotony of running the same routes all the time.
    I'm always looking to find new routes for both long and shorter runs to keep it interesting.

    Can't wait to see the full plan...for some reason I LOVE reading and comparing training plans ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found your blog and LOVE IT! I'm kind of in the same place you were a year ago. I've decided to run my first half marathon in April and am starting to train for it right now! Any tips for a beginner? I can't believe you're going to do a 50k! WOW! I'm focusing on my half right, but might consider longer in the future. Thanks for the great posts!

    Sam
    http://runcookreadblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great plan to me! The switch ups all make sense. I've debated on the Saturday long run thing, I've always done them on Sundays...of course, for 50 miler you'll probably be doing a whole bunch of long runs all throughout the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sam - congrats on deciding to run your first half! I remember all those feeling very clearly from a year ago. My best advice to you would be to pick a good training plan a stick to it. I ended up injuring myself two months before my half because I got so excited about running that I went overboard. My other advice (which you may have already taken) would be to get a good pair of running shoes. They can make all the difference! Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your logic. And Saturday is definitely the BEST long run day. I would hate to put it off till Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!