Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting Back in the Game

After what has been a pretty stressful week (which led to pessimistic posts like yesterday's) I finally feel like I'm getting back in the game. The combination of a demanding class schedule, approaching final exams, and looming work deadlines has led me to feel quite overwhelmed, and when I feel that overwhelmed I tend to shut down all together and try to hide in a hole.

Of course, "shutting down" now is not the same as how I would have "shut down" five years ago. Back then I probably would have skipped all of my classes, called out of work, and not left my house or pajamas for a whole week. In comparison to that, this week was actually quite productive, but it's all relative, and this week I just wasn't on my game like I have been recently.

While it felt really good to finally run on Wednesday morning after 24 hours of  trying to make it happen, I was still feeling really unproductive. Doubly so when I slept through my alarm on Thursday morning and missed my swim session at the pool. Time to get in gear girl!

First thing I do when I'm feeling out of it? Find some motivation. NYRR registration opened yesterday at noon for their first quarter 2012 races. I spontaneously signed up for the Manhatten Half in January as something else to motivate me and look forward to in the dead of winter.

Feeling a little more motivated after that, I got my homework done during lunch instead of leaving it for later and headed out promptly at 4 pm for a run. No specific distance in mind. No particular path to follow. I ended up doing about 10 miles at a little over a 9 min/mile. I was a little shocked when I realized my pace because it felt really easy the whole time and I felt like I could have run forever. 9 min/miles might not be the best I've ever been, but lately, since my injury and the marathon, I've been slow as a snail. Could I possibly be regaining some of my speed?

Feeling better after my run I actually enjoyed my class, which usually feels neverending. When I came home Mike had dinner ready for me: brown rice and tofu/veggie stirfry. That put a nice smile on my face.

Yay for colorful meals!
Determined not to let my good vibes disappear just as soon as I'd found them again, I forced myself out of bed this morning at 5 am to run with Back on My Feet. It's been a few weeks since I got out to run with them and as much as it sucks getting up that early, I never ever regret going and I never get back home afterwards wishing I had stayed in bed. It will certainly be challenging to keep it up over the winter. Not only is it pitch black out, but it's also getting super cold. This morning was 30 degrees!

Time to pull out the Lule hand warmers
I have to work super late tonight because of an event, but I'm not going to let it get my weekend down. I plan to get in two more runs Saturday and Sunday plus a trip to the pool and, of course, several hours of homework. The important thing is to hang on to this good mojo I've found again. I'm starting a new training plan on Monday so I will certainly need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!