Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Christmas Long Runs: Part II


If you didn't get to read Part I aka The 21-Mile Run: Survivor Edition you can read it here.

Sunday morning we woke up and gathered around the tree. Sophie decided to hog the stockings.


For the last few years my sister has made a new tradition of making vegan cinnamon buns Christmas morning. It's definitely a tradition I look forward to keeping!

So yummy
This curiously shaped present was for me from Mike. He has been keeping me on my toes for weeks about what he got me.


If gift giving were a competition, and it was between Mike and I, he would always win hands down. He's always very creative and thoughtful, whereas I tend to be practical and uninventive. So this oddly shaped present really was no surprise. And it turns out the pyramid was just trickery!

He must know I love Egypt. And pyramids. 
Once I finally pulled the decoy pyramid off and opened it up I was so shocked and surprised I was nearly in tears. He designed my very own racing shirt complete with my name on the front and back!

I know what I'm wearing at the Manhattan Half in 3 weeks!
Number 18 was also on the back, which is our anniversary. He even wrote "RUNDAY" on the sleeve, as in Every Day Is Run Day!! (especially a day when I would wear this shirt).


I'm so, so excited to wear it to races! He also got me a bib keeper. Now I really wish I had hung on to all of mine from 2011. I did for awhile, but eventually I got frustrated that I really didn't have a proper place for them and they were getting wrinkled so I tossed them. Will be sure not to in 2012 and onward!


Other runner-rific gifts included some much needed foot therapy.


After a few hours of Indiana Jones watching and cinnamon bun digesting we finally made it out for a run. Since my goal was 30 miles for the weekend and we ran 21 on Saturday I just had to get in 9 more. I was actually really happy it ended up being split that way instead of my original plan, which called for 24 Saturday and 6 Sunday. Nine miles isn't what I would consider a "long" run per say, but it's definitely longish and it would be a good test after 20+ the day before.

The best part about this run is that though I had expected to do it alone (which I wasn't looking forward to), Mike and Caitlin both decided to join me! As soon as we starting running I knew I wasn't going to even try to push the pace. This was a recovery run, plain and simple. My legs were a bit sore from the day before, but nothing too crazy. We headed through part of Rock Creek Park again down towards the Mall. Caitlin and Mike did some stair repeats at the turn around. I was too chicken to cross the busy street.


After the turn around we headed back over to Georgetown and got on the C&O Canal for about 2.5 miles before turning around again. It was a beautiful day out. I was actually too hot in long sleeves and crops.

Mike and I on the C&O
Instead of going straight back to my Mom's we took a slight detour and ran the Exorcist stairs a few blocks away. They actually are pretty scary steep when you're at the top looking down.

Ahh don't fall!
Final Stats: 9.18 miles, 1:31, 9:54 pace

My calves were a little tight the rest of the evening, but all in all I'd say the weekend was a huge success. Aside from Ragnar, I think 30 miles is the greatest amount of mileage I've done in a two day period.

Don't forget to VOTE for me to join Team Refuel! Vote 'Kristin Hoeberlein' once a day now through January 15th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!