Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Ultra that Came Before the Marathon: A Quick Ragnar Recap

I will definitely work on a full summary of the relay at some point this week. Right now though, my brain is still feeling like mush after sleep deprivation and physical exhaustion. So, for now, here is a quick recap and some pics!



Some of the after effects of running a Ragnar Relay:

  • Can't stand the sight of bananas for a few days after eating 10-15 over 30 hours
  • Feel very fortunate and lucky every time I realize I have running water and soap to wash my hands after going to the bathroom
  • While driving on the road up a hill my first thought is "Oh man, I wonder who has to run this. This must be rated 'Very Hard'"
  • Who needs a sidewalk? The shoulder of a busy road is fine to run on!
  • Reaching for a reflective vest when leaving the house because it's dark out

Had to hit up the Ragnar gear store
Lancaster, PA
Van #1 getting ready to start!
202.1 miles here we come!
Sporting Mustang spirit!
Van #2 getting ready to go!
Amish country


2 am legs


Leg breakdown:

Leg #9: 6.4 miles, Hard, 56:31, 8:49 pace

Leg #11: 5.9 miles, Hard, 48:56, 8:17 pace

Leg #20: 7.7 miles, Hard + Leg #21: 5.1 miles, Moderate: 12.8 miles total, untimed (very slow though)

Leg #33: 9.4 miles, Very Hard: 1:43:14, 10:58 pace

Total Mileage: 34.5 miles




Hitting this number was a huge accomplishment and even though my body is hating me right now, I'd do everything all over again in a heart beat! As you may know I have yet to run my first marathon (this November) and have been an aspiring ultra runner for quite some time, so running a relay as an ultra was a major thing for me (and unexpected as we should have had a full 12-person team)!


A longer recap to come later this week with all of the nitty gritty salty sweaty details! Stay tuned!


1 comment:

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!