Friday, October 21, 2011

Fall Foliage Weekend

Today's non-running workout: 30 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes rowing machine.

Thumbs down because the elliptical SUCKS! Most boring machine EVER
Anyways...back to the point of this post:

As if the gods themselves had aligned it, my injury has come at what could be described as the perfect time (more like, if it has to happen this is the most convenient time for it to do so), as Mike and I are headed off for a weekend bike trip this afternoon and there would have been minimal time for running!

In the wake of Mike's heel spur, he discovered cycling to be somewhat enjoyable and so we decided to take the plunge and sign up for a weekend getaway with 30+ cycling enthusiasts in the fine town of Gettysburg, PA. May I present Fall Foliage Weekend as brought to you by the Bicycle Club of Philadelphia.

Some of the things that our lovely package includes are:

Friday & Saturday night accommodations at the plush Hampton Inn of Hanover
DELUXE buffet-style breakfasts Saturday & Sunday
Friday evening Welcome Reception & Hot Dinner Buffet at hotel
Tour packets prepared for each guest, with cue sheets, maps, brochures, etc. 
Wide array of picturesque routes, terrains, & distances for cycling
Featured Group Rides with a leader on Saturday & Sunday
Access to bike-friendly Gettysburg National Park
An ABUNDANCE of fun activities for non-cyclist partners traveling with cyclists
BOUNTY of "portable" cycling snacks to take along on rides
Saturday afternoon post-ride party
Massage therapists at hotel Saturday afternoon
Private dining room at Atland House Restaurant for Saturday night dinner
Music, party games, raffle prizes

Love how they highlight the DELUXE breakfast buffet and BOUNTY of portable snacks. SOLD!

While the biking thing will be cool, I'm actually more excited just to get away for a mini-vacation than anything. The weather is lining up perfectly. It should be crisp, cool, and sunny. The leaves have started to turn and fall.



Mike and I visited Gettysburg a few years ago for a day trip and had a really good time. We are super dorky like that and enjoy oogling at historic places and learning things.

4 years ago in Gettysburg
So, even if I could run, the point is that this weekend it would have been challenging to do so. Though, at the same time, I would have loved to get in my 20 miler on Sunday morning someplace new, which can make all of the difference when you've been running the same routes the for months and months.

Le sigh...oh well, I'm going to make the most of this weekend, including testing out the hotel pool. It's not a lap pool by any means, but I'm going to try and see where I'm at so that when I do finally get the pool at my gym I'm not a complete embarrassment. 

See ya Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Have so much fun this weekend! I've given up hope to get my boyfriend into running, but I am hoping to get him into biking so we can do rips like this :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!