Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Everything Else

Good news: My calves ARE feeling better after another 2 days rest. I really wanted to run today, but I think I'm going to try and take a whole week off (crazy!) and see if that heals it. I have not been able to get a doctor's appointment yet, but so far I'm feeling confident that enough RICE might do the trick.

Bad news: My mood has gone to shit! I am one of those people that needs to work out otherwise I get super grumpy. Also, kind of hard to condone eating dessert when I've literally just sat on my ass the whole day.

Running is by far my favorite form of exercise. You might say I'm an elitist when it comes to running, as in: there's running and then there's everything else.

Yayy running!
But alas, injuries call for something different. Hence, Mike and I just signed up for gym membership at Penn. I don't know why it took us so long to make that happen. After all, it's within walking distance of our jobs, we got a staff and spousal discount, they have a huge facility, group exercise classes, and a pool!

True to form I packed a running outfit today for work, even though I should be "resting." Luckily my gym membership was activated by noon, which means I got to go to a spin class right after work and finally, after days of horrible rest, I FELT THE BURN. I've been wanting to try spin for awhile. While biking is not my favorite activity in the world, I really liked the high intensity of spinning and will definitely be back!

In addition to the spin classes, I'm definitely going to try and get to the pool this weekend for some laps. I haven't done lap swimming (or wore a one piece) since I was of a single-digit age, so it should be interesting to say the least.

So, that's the plan for now. Obviously, I'd rather be running, but sweat is sweat and since the theme of this month is "listening to my body" I'm going to try and continue doing just that.

Goal: Sweat until exhaustion

2 comments:

  1. Good call on giving your body the rest it needs. I have been having foot issues, and even though I enjoy swimming...I dearly miss my running. Time will heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, I've been dealing with a foot issue. It is so hard to take the time off and I get sooo cranky. In the end, I know I need to back off, take extra days off and rest...good news, it seems to be working! Hope your injuries go away soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!