Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Quantity vs. Quality

So the doctor basically confirmed what I had thought: shin splints. Initially I really didn't think that's what it was because the pain was just everywhere, but after a week off from running the pain started to shrink and it became much more clear which area was actually the source - the shins! He told me to try running again this week and see how it feels. He also gave me a list of stretches to do everyday and told me to continue icing. All in all, I probably didn't need to see him, but I'm glad I did anyway. Better safe than sorry!

Shin icing is sexy
Looking back, I can't believe how silly I was to keep running when I was in so much pain and discomfort. In fact, I only stopped running last week when I realized that not only had I not met any of my weekly mileage goals AT ALL for the month of October because of the pain, but that those runs that I did do were absolutely miserable!

I became so caught up in quantity that I forgot about quality. What good are 45 miles per week if I am sluggish, slow, and in pain the whole time? My pace suffered tremendously and I made my injuries worse in the process. It would have been a complete waste of a month had it not been a learning experience. Of course I'd love to say that I will never not listen to my body again, but I know that won't happen.

One good thing that has come out of this is that I've thrown myself into all sorts of cross training that I've never done before and it's been greatly beneficial, even after just one week. I need to make cross training more of a habit.

The next step is to attempt a short run tonight and start making a comeback plan. The marathon is in less than 4 weeks. This would have been my peak week before tapering and now, after everything that has happened, the schedule is completely out of wack. Time to get to business!

1 comment:

  1. Hope your legs are better soon, hopefully the rest has helped! I fall into this same trap at times!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!