Thursday, October 6, 2011

Horse Two Ways

If you're looking for recipes for cooking horse (one way or more) you've come to the wrong place. Those ain't the horses I'm talking about!

Horse Way #1:

As in "back on the horse."

After my tremendously successful 20 miler on Sunday that was unexpectedly near goal pace,* I was met with 2+ days of recovery. If that's what 20 miles near goal pace feels like I can't imagine what 26.2 miles at goal pace will feel like! Luckily Monday is always a rest day and boy did I need it! My quads were still burning! On Tuesday, however, I was meant to get running again, but literally 5 strides into my run I realized it wasn't going to happen. I stopped, turned around, and went back inside. It was a combination of my calves still hurting and some leftover homework that had to get done before class that evening. I was kind of pissed because it was a stressful day and I really could have used the run. On the other hand I was kind of proud of myself. The only thing harder for a runner than running is not running. Score one for listening to my body and backing off!

Why hello long sleeved running tee. Welcome to my wardrobe!
Last night though, I was ready to "get back on the horse" and pound some pavement. It was a low stress, recovery run with my music and without my Garmin. It felt great and the weather was really spot on. I felt like going faster at some points, but I've got a big event later this week that I need to save my efforts for (see below).

*I know that it's not generally recommended to run long runs at or near goal pace, but much, much slower. I just happened to go with the flow Sunday and that's what I ended up with.

Horse Way #2

As is "11 Mustangs and a Sally" aka my Ragnar Relay team name!

This Friday and Saturday I will have the great pleasure of joining 8 other sweat-loving strangers on a 200 mile journey through Amish country from Lancaster, PA to the Poconos. Notice I said "8," not "12." We didn't end up finding enough runners for a traditional 12-person team. I guess it should really be 7 Mustangs and a Sally (Sally is the captain). No worries though. There are plenty of crazies on my team (including me) who are more than willing to pick up the extra legs.


My job tonight is to pack for this little adventure. Fortunately Ragnar offers some advice regarding this and provides a checklist. Some of the basic necessities include:

  • Three running outfits (one per leg, unless you want to wear the same sweaty clothes for up to 30 hours)
  • One reflective vest per person (so we don't get hit by cars horse and buggies during nighttime legs)
  • Sleeping bag (for the limited hours of sleep we will all get)
  • Cooler for food and water (so we can stuff our faces when we're not running)
  • Cleansing wipes (to try and be less stinky for comfort of teammates)
I signed up for this event a really long time ago, at least 5 or 6 months, and I can't believe it's finally here! I will probably end up running at least four legs, but my three definite legs for runner #9 include:

6.4 miles hard
5.1 miles moderate
9.4 miles very hard
I'm not sure if the "moderate, hard, very hard" ratings have to do with distance or elevation, because they way I see it my 5.1 miles "moderate" looks a heck of a lot harder than my 6.4 miles "hard!" Oh well, if I'm slow, I'm slow. All in all I should put in around 25+ miles with an fourth leg so I'm super pumped about that!

2 comments:

  1. That "moderate" one looks way harder than the "hard" one to me too! Maybe because it's a longer distance?

    Good luck on your relay. It looks like a lot of fun. You are really going above and beyond picking up extra legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH I WERE DOING THIS WITH YOU! BAH! next year I'm so in it's insane.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!