Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July 2012 in Review

Let me jump right in to proudly declare that I finally (finally!) hit 200 miles for the month! Woooooo!

And chose to celebrate by wearing the most obnoxiously mismatched outfit I could find

Mileage Recap

A year ago - July 2011: 151.95
January: 181.21
February: 86.84
March: 6
April: 89.59
May: 128.43
June: 137.72
July: 200.1

I have nearly hit 200 mi/month two times before, but I would inevitably injure myself (once for 10 days, once for 6+ weeks. Eek!). I'm committed to being healthy this time around so if I feel any aches or pains then it's break time. I'm pretty siked that I made it to 200 in only my first month of JFK training. Three more months of build to go!

Cross Training Recap

331.72 miles road cyling
1000 m swam
8 Pilates classes
3 Boxing classes
1 Xtend Barre class

What went well

This month I fell in love with the long run all over again. I had my first signifant distance runs (18 and 20) since February. For some reason I can't stand mid-distance runs of anything 10-16 miles. They make me want to hurl. But anything under or over that and I'm happy as a clam. Strange, no?

This month is the first training month I've ever done without an actual training plan. While the calendar-obsessed organization freak in me is still mourning, the rest of me is really agreeing with this decision. I throw ideas about weekly mileage together on Sunday night and if it works out, it works out. if it doesn't, it doesn't. Low stress.

I have been loving pilates. Like love, love. I'm thinking of getting certified as a mat instructor late this fall or early next spring. I got back to boxing as well and, despite a few split knuckles, my body is loving it.

What didn't go well

In general this month has been exhausting. Understandably so. I've been working out quite a bit and have hardly had a complete rest day. Going forward I'm going to try and remedy this. I might drive into work one day so I don't even have to get on my bike. Whatever the solution is, rest days are essential and can't be skipped!

And, yet another month when I didn't make it to the pool enough. I get lazy during my lunch hour and don't feel like moving. Try, try again next month.

August 2012 Goals

I have no races in August (at least not at the moment) so it's really going to be all about the continue build in training. Some more specific goals include:

- Get to the pool once a week
- Continue foam rolling every night
- Move into month 2 of JFK training with caution and take breaks when I need to
- Clean up my diet by removing most of the processed foods and refined sugars

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for 200 miles! That's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm that is amazing! I foam roll after every run but I should really do it every night like you do. It's the consistency that works, just like with running,

    ReplyDelete
  4. The foam roller and I have a love hate relationship for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yayy! Congrats on 200 miles for the month! That is my goal for August, now that the wedding is done : )

    Thanks for your nice comment welcoming me back! I'm looking forward to getting all caught up with everyone...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!