Sunday, January 8, 2012

My First Trail Ultra: What I Learned

If you haven't read the recap yet, you can find it here. You can also find my goals for this race here.

Finishing the PHUNT 50k was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life. Physically it was demanding, but not as demanding as I thought my first marathon was. Whether this is because I wasn't pushing the pace and racing like I did during the marathon, or whether it is because my body is more accepting of the stress I put on it and has adapted to handle more since the marathon I will never know.

No, the physical demands for this race were not the tough part. It was the mental demands that would make or break me. Trail running is different from road running for many reasons (more of which to be discussed below), but one of the biggest differences I found was the mental challenge of running on trails. Unlike a road race, there are no cheering crowds in the middle of the woods. Often, for much of the second half of the race, there weren't even any other runners. No one would know if I dropped out or took a short cut. It's only you out there. The trees aren't going to push you forward. You have to do it yourself.


I think the fact that this race was made up of two identical loops really messed me up. The entire first loop I was dreading having to do it all over again (by myself no less) a second time. Of course once the second loop came I kind of appreciated the fact that I knew what to expect. So I suppose there are pros and cons to a double loop course.

At the end of the first loop, what really made me push on was a simple question: Would I rather suffer 3.5 more hours through another 15.8 miles? Or suffer another 3.5 months feeling regret for not finishing and giving up? The answer was obvious. Sometimes math is all you need.

In terms of the actual course, for me, 31 miles is not a terribly challenging distance. I would call it of moderate difficulty. What was extremely difficult for me was the terrain. Previous to this race I had run a 5k and a 5-miler on a nearby Philadelphia trail called Forbidden Drive. After the PHUNT, I can confidently say that Forbidden Drive is nothing more than a treadmill with gravel on top of it (at least the main drag of it is). The PHUNT course was about 90% through the woods, on single track, rocky, rooted, trails with lots of small stream crossings and constant uphills and downhills. I know most of my pictures show me running through fields, but frankly when we were in the woods on those tough trails the last thing on my mind was taking a picture to show you what it looked like. I thought it was very, very difficult. While I was grateful for the weather being warm, that also meant that the ground warmed up and the mud became thick and very slippery. I probably lost 20-30 minutes having to walk in places I would normally run because I didn't want to slip and fall down a hill.

As I said, mentally this race was very tough. Like always, I was so glued to my time goal, I thought about DNF-ing when I knew I wouldn't hit it. "What's the point?" I thought. I kept reminding myself that finishing was my first goal, however, and that helped push me through. Am I proud of my finish time? No, definitely not, but I'm definitely proud of finishing.


I spent the first half of the race so angry and disappointed with myself. It wasn't until the second half that I accepted the fact that I'm a newbie trail runner and that's okay. I would consider myself an experienced runner at this point, having raced everything from 5k to marathon, so it was hard for me to realize that I might be a beginner when it came to trails. As I said in my recap, this race was very humbling, and this was the reason why.

 Since the race ended I've thought a lot about my training plan and how I need to adjust it. I'm very happy that I finished the race if only to come to these realizations. At this point I still have 6 months until my 50-miler, so there is a lot of time to improve. Here are some big things I learned:

I need to train on trails if I'm going to race on trails
This is the number one thing I learned. I was naive to think that high mileage was the only thing I needed to get through a 50 mile race. If I want to go fast on trails I need to practice on trails. Can't save that for race day. I'm going to try to include one trail run every other (if not every) weekend from now on.

I need to spend less time at aid stations
In my 7 hours and 21-some minutes doing the PHUNT, I spent at least 15 minutes at aid stations. I felt safe in them. I didn't want to leave. But I've got to learn to grab and go. It doesn't matter if I leave the aid station walking while finishing my snacks. The point it I'm making progress on the course.

I don't need to bring a lot with me when aid stations are numerous
I definitely overpacked for this race. I didn't end up eating any of my own food during the race and just using what was at the aid stations. To be fair, since this was a free race, I didn't expect anything from aid stations other than water, so that's why I brought a lot. Fortunately though, a lot of runners were generous and brought loads of food. In a paid race there will definitely be food at aid stations, and if those aid stations are no more than 5 or 6 miles apart, I can get by with a handheld or waist pack. No need to weigh myself down with the big camelbak.

If I walk it's got to be a power walk
Unless you are an elite, walking must be done during an ultra. End of story. Again, I was naive to think otherwise. I learned very quickly on Saturday that you expend way too much energy running up a hill, so I ended up walking. A lot. I walked slowly and sloth-like and I saw a lot of walkers passing me, because they were power walking. It's the best compromise between running and crawling.

I want to race on more trails
In addition to training on trails regularly I also want to race on them more leading up to the 50-miler. Ideally I'd love to do some shorter races, maybe a 10k or 10 miler, where I could test my skills and speed and not burn myself out, but right now there don't appear to be very many in my area. I did sign up for another 50k in February (no less than 2 hours after I got home by the way - I must be off my rocker crazy), and I already had another one planned in March. I'm curious to see what their trails are like compared to the PHUNT's, which I found very challenging. I'll keep my eye out for some other things this spring.

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed this race. Even in times of great elation during the second half I just wanted it to be over. Right now I don't like trail running, but I think that I could. There was something really peaceful about running alone in the woods. I can confidently say that after 7 hours I drove out of that park a different person than when I drove in that morning.

I can do better. I can be better. But I've got a lot of work to do!

Do you run trail races? What is the best piece of advice you could give me as a newbie?

Don't forget to VOTE for me to join Team Refuel! Vote 'Kristin Hoeberlein' once a day now through January 15th!

3 comments:

  1. UGH! 31 miles of tedious terrain? No thank you! I think you are amazing for finishing, and should be very proud of yourself for attempting (and completing) such an arduous task. GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you summed up here is exactly what I've found I need to work on as well when it comes to trails. Something about it definitely lures me back though, it's another challenge to tackle. While road running isn't easy, that seemed to be a fairly quick progression, trails not so much! Technical terrain is definitely what gets me. I've fallen (a bunch) but the advice I've gotten is that you have to learn how to be fearless. So, guess I'm working on being fearless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been running trails for years and they are my favorite. If you don't mind venturing up to the Reading area (just over an hour north of Philly), my running club puts on at least one trail race per month. In fact, I'm racing one of them this coming Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!