Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thankful Thursdays: Recovery Edition

Only twelve days into the new year and lots to be thankful for!

I'm thankful for self-restraint:
Fellow blogger Jory told me she was running a trail race this Sunday in Reading, PA, just about an hour north of Philly. I admit I spent all of Wednesday debating about whether to go or not. I have a bit of trail fever and I want to get out there right away and start learning.

The beginning of trail fever
But at the end of the day I decided to forego the race because of three reasons: I'm still recovering from last Saturday's race, I have a half marathon next weekend that I want to feel (relatively) fresh for, and Mike already promised to run Wissahickon trails with me on Saturday and he doesn't run two days in a row because of his heel spur. I feel super lame for dragging him to so many races in the last six months so I don't want him to have to sit out for another one. Being spontaneous and signing up for Sunday would have been worthy of an "I'm thankful for..." mention too, but I think I made the right choice.

I'm thankful for speedy recoveries:
On Tuesday I took my "ultra" legs out for their first run after two days off. The first half mile felt great. The next 3.5 miles felt tiring. Yesterday I went out for 6 miles and they felt noticeably less tired. Good to know my body is bouncing back quicker and quicker after each obstacle I put it through! (Those bruised toes are looking better too)


I'm thankful for Haribo Peaches:



I've been craving these all week for some reason and they didn't disappoint when I finally got my hands on some. Candy always makes everything better.


I'm thankful for intellectual stimulation:



Classes start today. I could complain about how stressed out I'm going to be fitting in 7 hours of class and 5-10 hours of studying each week, but instead I'm going to look at the brighter, more positive side. I could never be one of those "independent studies" students that does work all on their own. I need the structure of a class to force me to get it done. So hears to more forced intellectual stimulation over the next 15 weeks!


I'm thankful for the approach of February 18th:
There's a special day coming up in the near future. No, I'm not talking about my wedding, but I am talking about our 5 year anniversary! Wow, where has the time gone?

Oh, we were so young once
Every year we go away for a long weekend to celebrate. This year we are going to head up to the Poconos and try to embrace the winter weather. We drove through the adorable town of Jim Thorpe during Ragnar in October and I was instantly in love! Last night we officially booked our bed and breakfast. Now I have something to look forward to for the next month.


What are you thankful for this week?
 
FOUR DAYS LEFT! Don't forget to VOTE for me to join Team Refuel! Vote 'Kristin Hoeberlein' once a day now through January 15th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!