Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Do Nots

Do Not #1:

"Do not do a big long run less than three weeks before a marathon" DID IT

I ran my first 20-miler on September 4th and my second on October 2nd. My original training plan called for three 20s two 22s, but October shin splints kind of ruined that plan. So, I was left with two choices: forgo one last long run and hope that the endurance I had built up to at the beginning of October would hold through November 20th OR run one last big one to check my endurance and risk body exhaustion during race day.

I chose door number two and ran 20 miles this morning with race day only 14 days out. I know it might not have been the best decision, but I'm glad I did it. I found the second half of my run very difficult and I would have hated to feel like that during the actual race. I'll have to be really careful over the next two weeks to make sure I'm running nice and easy, but I trust my body to recover in time for race day.

Check out the Flows!
Do Not #2:

"Do not break in new shoes with a long run" DID IT

I was just too excited about my new babies to leave them home this morning. Full review to come tomorrow, but I'll just say that running in Brooks Pure Flow feels like dancing on a marshmallow cloud. As soon as I tried them on I knew we were meant to be together and I knew that I would have no problems taking them for 20 miles as our first outing. Post-run I've still got nothing but pure love for these guys and other than some to-be-expected distance related blisters, my feet are doing just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!