Thursday, September 15, 2011

What Was Missing

It took me a week, but I finally realized what was missing - the music! I've previously mentioned how precious my 40 minute round trip walks to work and home are, because it's just my music and me. It's that special time 5 days a week when I can just let my mind drift. Since I started riding my bike to work a week ago, however, I haven't had any of these blissful moments. My lack of "music and me" time has certainly contributed to my crazy stress levels this week. Granted, I'm sure I would have been stressed anyway starting classes and all, but more "me" time probably would have helped.

Last night I had a 6 miler on my training plan and I decided to bring the iPod along. I never, ever run with music and I was a little concerned I'd regret bringing it right away, but it turned out to be the most glorious 6 mile run ever! Okay, well not ever, but the most glorious run I've had all week. It had, up until then, been a week of slow, sluggish, unmotivated workouts. But with tunes in my ears I let my mind free fall into daydreams and enjoyed the pure majesty of running. My heart felt lifted and weightless as I strode along the river, the sun sinking down behind the buildings.


Running isn't always enjoyable and it's easy to get caught up in your training plan. Sometimes you forget to enjoy the little things: the way the breeze blows across your arm and through your hair, the way your feet feel when they hit the pavement, the moment you realize you've hit the perfect stride, and the way running can make you feel like you can do anything and everything you've ever wanted. Running is beautiful. Sometimes you just need a little help getting there and a little "me" time. Sometimes there can be magic in the music.

Last night I finally got out of my September funk, as my friend Julia described it. From now on, one run a week with music is mandatory for my mental health.

The song that lifted my spirits last night:


Also, last night I hit my 1000th mile in 2011 :)

Now that's what I call paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!