Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bike + Run = Sunday FUN

The nice thing about fall is that you don't have to wake up at the ass crack of dawn and get your run in right away (not that I was very good at that anyway). This morning I decided to let myself get the sleep I needed, which means I leisurely woke up around 8:45 feeling fresh. I grabbed a banana and a granola bar, sat down at the computer, and began plotting my 17-18 mile run for the day.

I've been getting pretty tired of the routes around here. It's one thing if it's a short run and I know it will be over relatively quickly, but if I know I'm going to be on my feet for three hours I need something a little more appealing for my eyes.

I decided to start my route about 4.25 miles north at a parking lot near Strawberry Mansion bridge along the river. From there I would head north for 2 miles until I hit the Wissahickon Bike Trail. Then it would be a mile to Forbidden Drive and then 5.5 miles to the very top of Forbidden Drive, which would be a little over 8 miles in and the turn around point.



The question was, how do I get to the starting point? Two options: Drive or bike. Since I was too lazy to go get the car a few blocks away and put gas in it, and since Mike was planning a bike ride of his own in lieu of running, I decided to go with the latter option and bike up to the starting point.

New green CEP compression socks!
Sophie was pretty sad we were leaving, so she pretended she had to go out just so she could hang out with us on the stoop while we got our bikes ready. Little trickster!
Mike biked up with me to the starting point before heading off on his own adventure.

Mike thought my green socks were hilarious. I have no idea why.
I chose to take the Camelbak instead of a regular hand held since I couldn't bike easily with that. It ended up being the best decision ever! I am ALWAYS using a Camelbak for my long runs now. 


Heel spurs hurt all the time :( except when biking!
We decided to meet back at the parking lot in 3 hours. Little did I know I should have said longer! As soon as I started running I felt horrible tightness in my lower calves. It was like I had a ball and chain hooked up to each calf and had to drag them along. I had to stop several times during the first mile and a half and walked a bunch of it, just trying to warm them up. I almost considered just turning around and ending the run early, but I figured I should just try to get to Forbidden Drive at least and see how I felt then.

By the time I got to the Wissahickon Bike Trail I was feeling much better, though I was going ridiculously slow. It was like one of those dreams where you try to run fast and you move your feet and nothing happens. You don't go anywhere. It's the most horrible feeling in the world. I kept on trucking though, even in the face of blocked paths:


When I hit Forbidden Drive I was still going really slow, but I no longer felt like I wanted to quit, so I just enjoyed the slow ride to the top of the trail. Forbidden Drive is a pretty cool place. It follows the Wissahickon Creek north for about 5.5 miles. Originally sought out by religious mystics in the 17th century, it became the site of booming industry in the 18th and early 19th century with mills and dams galore. It wasn't until 1869 that the land around the creek became under the control of the Fairmount Park Commission. Eventually all of the mills were demolished and the creek and surrounding area was returned to its original wilderness.

Though the mills were destroyed, some historic structures still remain, including the Valley Green Inn, originally built in 1850.


Its kind of like this wonderful gem in the middle of the woods. Mike and I actually considered getting married here next summer. It was between here and another place and we ended up going with the other place mainly because they had higher food quality. It would have been really lovely to get married here though. When I was running by they were setting up for a wedding.

Ceremony set up
Reception site
Running through there today made me kind of sad that we didn't pick this place, but then I remember how awesome the place we picked is and I felt better!

I reached the turn around at 1:33:00, knowing it was net downhill on the way back and I could probably make up for some time then and still reach the 3 hour meet up with Mike. Still, slowest 8.5 miles ever! Oh well, at least I enjoyed the scenery.



Not a picture from today, but you can see how pretty it will really be once the leaves turn!
I picked up the pace a bit on the way back, but tried to just run by feel. The rocks on the trail were really beginning to irritate the bottom of my feet. I ended up back at the parking lot 3 hours and 7 minutes of run time later. 

My bike was there to greet me! Mike too of course
I thought I would be too sore in my legs to bike ride home, but it ended up feeling really good. A nice little stretch out ride after three hours of running!

Final Stats: ~8.5 miles biking, 17.34 miles running

Feeling good after 17+ miles running for me and 55+ miles biking for Mike!
And then we immediately felt like passing out:



Now it's time to curl up on the couch with some food, some pups, and some Sunday movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!