Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ultras as Reality

It's one thing to have a race tentatively on your race schedule, as in "I would like to run this race." It's another thing to actually register for the race when it becomes "I am running this race."

On several occassions I've mentioned my desires to get into the world of ultrarunning. My rough draft plan for the beginning of 2012 involved one or two 50ks in the spring and my first 50-miler sometime in June. Of course, being that is only the end of September and I haven't even run my first marathon yet (8 weeks! ahh!), I thought I had some time before registrations opened. Wrong!


As of last night I am officially registered for the HAT 50k on March 24, 2012 in Havre de Grace, MD!

Luckily I checked their website a few weeks ago and found out that: A. Registration was going open Monday. B. Only 500 runners would be admitted. C. Last year the race sold out in 3 days! While registering sometime in November or December would have seemed more timely for me, I had to jump on it and make sure I got my spot! If all goes to plan this should actually be my second 50k, the first one being in late February.


Call me crazy, but I can't wait to tackle the nearly 9,800 feet of climbing over 31+ miles! Plus, look what they feed you:

Dear HAT 50k, you had me at "choc. chip cookies"
I'm sure as I approach the spring I will get more nervous about my ultra debuts, but for now I'm just plain excited. No part of me even hesistated when I found out I would have to register yesterday to guarantee my spot.

Bring. It. On.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on signing up! I've run half marathons and marathons for the past 4 years and just am in my second year of doing ultras. They are surely addicting and so rewarding. Can't wait to hear how yours goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca! I saw you did the 20in24 Lone Ranger this summer. I definitely want to do that one next year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!