Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rest In Peace 5k: Goals

Let me start this by saying I really dig halloween. The costumes, the candy, the decorations, the CANDY! I'm not saying I'm always the most creative person when it comes to dressing up (I've been a black cat too many times to count), but seeing other people in ridiculously creative outfits is enough for me. Plus, halloween parties generally just rock my socks off.



Are you seeing a theme with Mike's costume choices?
Halloween while studying abroad in Rome - had to be creative!
If I had it my way, we would celebrate all month, not just October 31st. So, I can't think of a better way to start the new month this Saturday than to run a race through a historic cemetery in costume with a hundred other decked out people! Luckily, there is a race designed just to those specifications:




Laurel Hill Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark in Philadelphia that started hosting its residents in the late 1830s. In addition to these souls, the cemetery is also home to some ridiculously cool architecture; mini monuments in the shape of Egyptian obelisks and Roman temples. Ooo la la.

The only uncool thing about this place is that it is extremely hilly. I have trouble walking through the grounds, so running 3.1 miles through them should be interesting to say the least.

My goals for this race? Have fun! I'm going to use this as an easy run for several reasons:

  • I'm not ready to race another 5k after just one week since my last one
  • If/when I do race another 5k it will be on a flat course that I know I can run fast
  • Running in costume will be hard enough. Racing in one would be ridiculous.
  • I want to support my friend Cynthia during her first 5k and make sure she has all the motivation she needs to finish!
So, that's that! The weather outlook is looking pretty good for Saturday in the high 50s/low 60s. Hopefully the humidity from this week will fade so I don't sweat bullets in my wig. The race doesn't start until 5 pm (in true halloween fashion) and immediately following there is free beer, raffles, and the sunset. Should be a good start to the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!