Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Magic of Massage and Foam Rolling

If you are a runner, foam rolling is something you should be doing every week, if not every night to soothe and massage your fatigued muscles. Unfortunately I only seem to start doing it once I feel an injury coming on, but in a perfect world it is part of my daily evening routine: eat dinner, do homework, foam roll, bed.

When I first threw down 20-some dollars on a 6-inch wide, 3-foot long cylinder of black foam I had no idea what the heck I was supposed to do with it. But thank god for You Tube, where you can find plenty of video how-to's for foam rolling.

I don't demonstrate nearly as well
The foam roller I have now is sad and crushed in the middle, which means it's not as effective as it once was. Next paycheck I am stepping up my game and investing in something a little sturdier and a lot more vetted. Trigger Point's 'The Grid' foam roller is supposed to be life altering amazing.

Trigger Point 'The Grid'
Source
Two weeks ago I also picked this baby up for easier on-the-go relief:



The Stick Marathon Stick
If foam rolling still isn't doing it for you, I absolutely suggest getting a sports massage. For me the two things are very similar: they're supposed to hurt like hell during, but afterwards you feel great!

Great, but all of a sudden sleepy
I get a sports massage every four months or so. I should really do it more often, but I'm cheap. I had my first of the year yesterday and it was fantastic. I gritted my teeth most of the way through, especially when my shitty left leg was getting worked over, but guess what: my shins hurt a lot less as soon as I was done. Magic? I think so!

Do you foam roll or get sports massages?

3 comments:

  1. Kristin - you MUST get the Trigger Point foam roller... I have it & life altering amazing is a total understatement! It took time to build up a little tolerance to it (read: the pain) at first since it's firmer, but now I couldn't live without it. The best part is that it travels well (to races, work trips, home to visit family, etc.) because it's hollow inside and you can stuff it with underwear and socks!
    Still loving your blog - keep up the great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo now I'm so excited to get it! Super clever putting socks and other stuff in the hollow part. I will defintely be doing that when I pack it up for trips!

      Delete
  2. I do both -- foam roll (and sometimes use a tennis ball for trigger point work) and get monthly massages. I am definitely faster post-massage!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!