Monday, March 5, 2012

Injury Update

Today marks my 21st day without running. Just writing that makes my cringe, but the good news is that I'm in an upswing!

I woke up Sunday morning feeling like crap. My entire body was sore from hot yoga the day before. Everything hurt. Well, everything, that is, except my shin! In fact, my shin didn't hurt at all on Sunday and it didn't hurt at all this mornig when I woke up. I have been limping around on it to try and keep off as much weight as possible to aid the healing process.

This morning I hobbled over to my doctor for my long-awaited appointment. Long story short, he does think it's just shin splints, especially considering that I showed up to the appointment with practically no pain. He had me do the hop test on my bad leg and I had mild pain, but a week ago when I did it on my own I had terribly intense pain, so I'm obviously healing.

He scheduled me for PT twice a week starting next Wednesday. I've been given the all-clear to start running agani as soon as I can hop pain-free, which will hopefully be sometime this week based on my progress!

He also recommended that I take a calcium supplement on top of my multi-vitamin because I'm probably not getting what I need out of my (personal) vegan diet.

For now I'm going to continue to keep as much weight off as possible and continue the cross training plan I had set up for this week.

6 comments:

  1. YAY! That's so exciting. Isn't it amazing how psycho we get with no running?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, Kris! Just take it slow and listen to your body. What kind of physical therapy will he have you do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said it would be a lot of deep tissue massage and stretching and that they would get me on a "back to run" program. I will also be taught a lot of stretches that I can do at home. Looking forward to my first session next week!

      Delete
  3. So great that you can start running soon! I know how much it stinks to not run. Hoping your back at it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "21 days" and my heart broke for you. :(
    But you're healing!
    And that's the only thing that matters.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!