Sunday, March 25, 2012

Finding the Positive in Injury

Injuries suck. S-U-C-K. Big time. But you will only get so far sulking around the house and being sad all of the time. Charlie Brown is cool and all, but even I can't "Good Grief" all day long.

Maybe it's the amazing weather. Or maybe it's the fact that physical therapy has started and I'm feeling optimistic. Whatever it is, as of late, I'm feeling pretty positive (or at least trying to feel). So let's talk about how we can all find positivity in our injuries:

I Will Be Stronger
Cross training will make me a fiercer and more powerful runner by the time I hit the pavement again. Think of all of those muscles getting nice, even-toned, varied workouts that didn't get them before. I will be unstoppable.


I Will Be Smarter
I've learned so much already in just a month about taking better care of my body. After starting physical therapy last week and after what will be at least six more weeks of it, I will have quadrupled my knowledge of all kinds of stretches and techniques to make my body feel better. This will help me in the future to not only keep me in tip top shape, but prevent injury.


Race Day Will Be Huge
Sure, all races are big deals I guess, but for a time I was doing 1-2 a month, and the whole racing thing perhaps lost some of it's specialness. I cannot wait for that 4 am wake up call, 10 trips to the bathroom, nervous ball of omg-did-forget-anything-and-I-have-to-pee-again kind of energy. It's going to be epic.



I Will Get To Run
Versus "I have to run." I can't tell you how many times I went out for a run when I didn't really feel like it just because my training plan said I had to. It's true, you only realize you've taken things for granted once they're gone. I for one cannot wait until I get to run.

The Runner's High Will Knock My Socks Off
I'm the type of person that loves to save the good stuff for last. Sort of like tapering for a race - you don't really enjoy the taper that much, but you end it with race day! After what will likely total to months off of running, the first pain-free run I actually do will probably give me a runner's high the size of Texas. Who knows, maybe the longer I wait the better it will be!


I Will Be More Forgiving
Prior to this injury I used to hate (!!) taking days off from running. Whether it be race tapering or taking a day or two off because I was too busy or something just didn't feel right, not running ravaged my psyche. In the future I will forgive myself if I find I need to take a day or two (or three) of rest. This is not to say that I will be okay getting injured again, but maybe the first big injury is the hardest. After awhile I suppose not running can become tolerable or at least familiar and then maybe it's a little easier to deal with.

What do you think, am I missing anything?

1 comment:

  1. Ahh... Thinking "I get to run..." is such a wonderful feeling.
    I just wish you didn't have to go through injury to have that feeling again! (PS - At least for the time being, you "get" to bike, swim, and cross-train.) ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!