Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Take It Easy: The Whys and Hows of Easy Runs

While I was pushing through the second mile repeat of my speed workout this morning, I thought about how much I needed to make sure my evening run tonight was an easy run. In the world of today we can’t help but want to go faster and faster. We want fast cars, fast google searches, fast food service, fast downloads, instant movies, and fast results (no, this is not like CSI in real life and I can’t get your tox results in 3 minutes and before the commercial). It’s no different in the world of running. While novice runners initially focus on completion of a distance, eventually the desire for speed comes into play. Most of us probably aren’t out to beat or even match the elites, but once you know you can make it through a 5k or a 10k or even a 50 miler, you probably hope that next time you can do it even faster.

Anyone who has looked into training plans can see that there are some basic similarities among them all, even if the details vary greatly. Most include some kind of speed work, maybe a tempo run (warm up followed by a set distance at a manageable but challenging pace followed by a cool down), a long run, and one or more easy runs.

Speed work helps you get faster over short distances, with rest time in between intervals, improving your body’s ability to handle the stress of speed. Tempo runs help you become comfortable holding a steady pace over a race distance. Long runs might not be speedy, as they are meant to be run 45 - 90 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace, but they are rewarding in other ways as they help you build endurance. And then there are the easy runs. That word “easy” can really throw people off. Some runners look forward to easy runs. Others hate it and think “easy” may as well mean “wussy.” Whatever your opinion of them is, they are just as necessary and essential as any other type of run in your training plan.

Listen to what the wall says!
What is an easy run?

If you’re like me and you over think things too much you might read into “easy runs” and make it more complicated that it needs to be. But there’s no mystery here. An easy run is exactly what it sounds like: easy. You should be able to carry on a conversation and get through it without huffing and puffing. Read: slow down!

Why run easy?

Now I will be the first to tell you that I have trouble with my easy runs so I’m probably being hypocritical in writing this post in the first place. In fact, I probably have more trouble with running an easy 5 miles than a speedy 3 or a long 15. It’s easy to get caught up in the need for speed, especially if you’ve discovered you are capable of going faster. You might ask, “what’s the point of going slow when I know I could do better?” The point is, that if you keep going fast and pushing your body, you may not even make it to that big race you’re training for. Whether it be injury or mental exhaustion, running fast all the time could really slow you down in the end. Easy runs allow our bodies to recover and rebuild while still doing work. It’s the same reason we taper before a race. Keep the fitness up, but the pressure down. Runner’s World recommends that 70% (that’s right I said 70!) of our weekly mileage should be easy miles.

How to take it easy

Like I said, I have a lot of trouble with easy runs. I get caught up with wanting to go faster and by the end of them I’m sprinting down the block. Sometimes you need some tricks to help you out.

1. Don’t wear a watch: I’m pretty obsessed with my Garmin, so it’s hard for me to leave it behind, but not having my current lap pace glaring up at me from my wrist keeps me from wanting to speed up. If you can’t completely go naked, just wear a cheap stopwatch and don’t memorize you mileage locations. This will allow you to record your time at the end of your run, but not get caught up in your pace while you’re actually running.

2. Run with a friend: I’m not saying you have to run with someone slower, but running with another body can be very helpful for easy runs. You could both agree on keeping a certain, slower pace and having each other there will keep you in check. Running with a friend is also an opportunity for conversation. As I said, you should be able to converse on an easy run. Whereas if you’re able to carry on a conversation during a tempo run or speed work, you’re not working hard enough!

3. Enjoy the scenery: Use you easy runs as an opportunity to actually stop and smell the flowers. Even if you run the same paths all the time, chances are if you’re going faster you’re not really focused on what’s around you. Make an effort to notice your surroundings and slow down. Maybe even take your camera and snap some photos!

4. Lose or use the tunes: Depending on whether or not you run with music, or perhaps depending on your mood, the presence or absence of tunes can help you run easy. Want to keep jamming on your run? Try slower, softer music. Save Katy Perry and Gaga for a tempo run. Or, ditch the tunes altogether and enjoy hearing the sound of your feet hit the pavement and concentrate on slowing your breath.

5. Add some more challenging terrain: This may defeat the purpose of the easy run, but mentally it always makes me feel better. Try choosing a path that is slightly hillier than normal. You can focus on going slow and easy, but still get just a little bit more out of your easy run by doing some hill work.

6. Combine easy runs with more challenging runs: If you really feel like easy runs are too wussy for you, then try combining them with more rewarding runs. For example, do an easy run the day before or after a long run. A long run is always a huge accomplishment, so tell yourself that if you’re getting through that then you can take it easy on another day. Another option is to double up speed work and easy runs. That’s what I did today: speed work in the AM and an easy run in the PM. It makes me feel better going slow in the evening knowing that I kicked some speedy ass this morning!

Post-AM speed workout refueling: 3 x 1 mile repeats at 7:30 pace

Pre-PM easy run: 5 miles at 9:30 pace
So for goodness sake, give yourself a break and take it easy! And if anyone has other tricks of the trade to easy runs please share!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips lady...I can always use this reminder! I really mean to run without my watch but have a tough time doing it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!