Sunday, August 14, 2011

Redemption Workout Weekend

This was, as the title says, a weekend of redemption workouts! It started Saturday morning when I finally got back to boxing after a 2.5 week break. Usually I go at least once per week, so it felt like it had been an especially long time since I’d taken a proper swing at a heavy bag. I was looking to get my ass kicked and was especially happy when Joey realized that his 6 person class was all advanced students, leading him to make it that much more challenging! I was happily ready to collapse after the hour was over.

Part II of my Redemption Workout Weekend started Sunday morning. I had every intention of waking up at 6am for my 16 miler, however a thunderstorm afforded me a few extra hours of sleep. I finally got out of the house around 10am and the rain was still coming down, albeit lightly. I knew I was going to be slow, however I didn’t anticipate feeling so defeated so quickly. Only 3 miles in I was feeling all the efforts I had put into boxing the day before, in the form of majorly sore arms and a super stiff upper back. I kept trucking along, however, and the rain was barely coming down making the cloudy, cool weather quite pleasant.

Pre-long run, with long sleeves and hat for the cool, rainy weather
Around mile 7 I started on the Wissahickon Bike Trail. The trail is very shaded and remote, hardly visible to the cars going by across the wide creek. I started getting a little bit concerned when I noticed I hadn’t seen any other runners or bikers for awhile. There have been numerous reports of attacks on women on this trail including several homicides. Granted it was almost noon on a Sunday, and the attacks took place in the early morning or the evening, but the rainy weather had clearly kept most people inside and off the trail, leaving me alone. On my way back after the turn around point I took a stretching break and then decided to trail a male runner headed back on the Bike Trail. He was keeping a pace about 40 seconds faster than I had been going, but I felt a little better always having someone else in sight. I am easily spooked!

Falls Bridge in the way back there
Once back on the more populated Schuylkill River Trail, I got to Falls Bridge with 5 miles left to go. I took another stretching break here. I wore my compression socks figuring that my legs would feel tired since it had been two weeks since my last long run. My calves definitely stayed activated because of the socks, but my quads were getting super sore. I thought about just jumping into the river from the bridge and floating downstream the 5 miles home. As it turns out there wouldn’t have been much of a difference between the river and the trail except that floating would have required much less effort. Only a few minutes after I’d taken my mini-break the rain became torrential. I made a run for Strawberry Mansion Bridge, only 1 mile ahead, hoping to get out of the downpour. I managed my fastest pace of the whole run here, at about 8:20, just trying to flee the rain. After 3 minutes of drying off underneath the bridge I realized it wasn’t going to let up anytime soon. My shoes were squishing and I was drenched head to toe. I may as well have been in the river! I could have peed my pants and I wouldn’t have noticed! For the last 4 miles home I keep up the routine of trying to run as fast as I could to the next bridge (each about a mile apart) and then trying to wring my shirt and shorts dry for a few minutes. Unfortunately my 8:20 run-from-the-torrential-downpour pace fell pretty quickly. Having not eaten anything the whole run I was pretty much out of energy.

I’m surprised I was able to speed up at all in the rain those last few miles. I brought a GU along with me, but I’ve been having terrible fears of having GI issues on the run. I get so worked up with fear that the fear itself makes my stomach start to turn. Just the thought of putting any food or gel in my mouth at all during a run makes me want to run for the porta potty! I didn’t used to have issues with this. In fact up until about a month ago I was able to eat gels quite comfortably during my long runs. But after a particularly, let’s say, frightening experience a month ago during a weeknight 6 miler, when I half considered jumping in the Schuylkill River, I have feared doing anything that might upset my stomach.

And so, completely drained of energy, after 16.1 miles, 2 hours and 43 minutes, probably 5 extra pounds of weight on me due to drenched clothing, and Kinvaras that will take 3 days to dry out, I finally finished my long run! It didn’t go as expected (do any long runs?), but it was majorly redeeming after my last 16 miler. I'm confident that I would have performed better had I been able to down some gels, but all things considered and after a super speedy week, I'm happy with my time.

Post-run, towel drying off in the hallway so I don't drag water everywhere


After setting aside my clothing and shoes to dry and a much needed shower I remembered I had two peaches from the farmer's market yesterday. Exactly what I needed! I would have also added a picture here of the massive fro-yo that I ate shortly afterwards, but I inhaled it too quickly for a photo op.\


The rest of my Sunday involves me sitting on my ass in sweatpants with Mike and the pups, watching movies, and enjoying the new wall photo spread that Mike hung for me this weekend! This is the first part of my "we're not moving so I'm going to redecorate the entire apartment" plan.

Lastly, for your enjoyment, Chloe shows us how rainy days make her feel:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!