Saturday, August 6, 2011

The EPIC-ness of It All

Yes, I did just make up the word “epic-ness.”

Don't worry about me! Those rain clouds only stayed for a short while
During my one day of vacation so far I’ve been able to take pleasure in a lot of relaxing downtime, time when I put on my iPod and daydream away. I don’t run with my iPod so I only use it during the 20-minute walk to work and back home Monday through Friday. I take these 40 minutes, 5 days a week very seriously and I try to leisurely stroll to work as much as possible to get just a few more seconds of blissful daydreaming. Not to say that I don’t let my mind wander on a run. I most certainly do! But I still really dig my iPod walks. Music has a way of setting the mood for your thoughts.

Between the bus ride down to DC Friday night and the plane ride this morning I’ve been playing lots of tunes and daydreaming a lot about the future. And when an especially moving song pops up I start think of the EPIC things in the future, the things that will change my life. The things that I can’t wait for, but at the same time I’m okay waiting for because I know I’ll never experience anything so moving again and I want to savor it. Things so massive and moving that they will rock the core of your being. What’s on my list? Getting married to my best friend and the man of my dreams, having children with him, excavating abroad, earning my Ph.D, and running 100 miles.

In my head I’m running Western States (though it could be any 100 mile race) and enjoying every minute of it, even when I puke, scrape my knees, and hit my tenth wall. And then I enter the Placer High School track in Auburn and take it all in, tears streaming down my face (ps. If you haven’t noticed from reading other posts already, I cry a lot in running). I get emotionally overwhelmed just thinking about it all. And it doesn’t even have to be me crossing the finish line to make me feel this way. Reading Mike Bailey’s account of his first Western States run made me tear up just picturing how epic it must have been for him. I get overcome with emotion anytime I witness someone else doing something epic. During a race, for example, when I’m not even halfway through and I see the elites and super fasties start passing me in the other direction on their way to the finish line. I lose focus for just a moment and get choked up knowing what they are about to accomplish. Oh the epic-ness of it all!

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go put my toes in the sand and daydream some more while you enjoy a sampling of some other epic things below:

Epic Song


Epic Locale

Grand Canyon

Epic Finish Line at Epic Race

Placer High School Track, Auburn, CA
Epic Frozen Yogurt*

Sweetflow from last night
*Dessert is always epic

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!