Friday, July 22, 2011

Why Do We Run?

This is probably a question asked more frequently by non-runners. As in, “what the hell would motivate you to take part in such torture?” And while runners may know exactly why it is they run, it might be hard to put into words when they are asked. And sometimes there is no one answer.

I started thinking more about this question a few days ago. I read a lot of blogs that are more food-centric. A lot of people are clearly into this running thing as a means to eat. And why wouldn’t you be? Running is one of the highest calorie burning activities you can do with an average of 100 calories burned per mile (note: varies slightly when taking into consideration weight, height, body fat, etc.). All it takes is 3 miles, 30 minutes and then maybe you can grab that extra blueberry muffin (if you can find a blueberry muffin less than 300 calories these days. Yay America!). So earlier this week I was trying to figure out if I was one of those run to eat or eat to run people. Many times I find I have to force feed myself just so I have enough energy to run. At the same time I do indulge in dessert almost every night (there’s always room!) and it does make me feel a little bit better knowing I just burned 500 calories.

Overall though, food is not really the reason I run. I run for much more than that. I run to feel alive. I run to sweat. I run to feel the burn. I run because its fun. I run to get away from it all. I run to feel accomplished. I run to see what I’m capable of. I run because I can.

In a few weeks I plan to launch a monthly series dedicated to runners and running of the past. Running has been around a long time. In my research so far I’ve come up with many reasons why people run. We run to catch food, to deliver, to report, to exercise, to show power, for fun, for sport, for prestige, for prizes. The list goes on. Some of these apply to today, some don’t. I hope to look at these more closely in my investigations.

Okay enough serious face. Great weekend ahead: boxing and a 3 mile run tomorrow morning, then headed to Baltimore to take refuge from this ridiculous heat at our friend’s pool party, and back in Philly for an (hopefully) early AM 16 miler Sunday! Time to get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!