Thursday, July 14, 2011

I've Been Bitten!

Bitten by the ultra bug that is. When I first decided to run a half marathon I didn’t even know ultras existed. For those of you aren’t familiar with running dork terms, an ultra is any distance beyond a marathon, or 26.2 miles. Common ultra distances include 50k (31.07 mi), 50 mi, 100k (62.14 mi), and 100 mi. I got my first introduction to ultra distances when I picked up a copy of Dean Karnazes’ Ultramarathon Man. It seemed impossible to me that any person could run 50 let alone 100 or more miles consecutively. While the book was very motivational for me during my half marathon training I quickly wrote off any thoughts of running an ultra. Even the thought of running a distance that long left a bad taste in my mouth. There was NO way I would ever be able, let alone actually have the desire, to do that.

As much as I initially disliked the idea of ultras, I kept thinking about them more and more. And I kept reading more books and blogs about ultra running, which only made me continue to think about them. It wasn’t until I ran my third race, however, that the word ‘possiblity’ started to enter my mind. I designed my half marathon training plan to include some shorter races so I would get a sense of what races were really like before the big day. I did a 5k in February and a 10k in March. I finished both races, but I found them challenging. Even though I had been consistently training for months at that point, my times were not as fast as I expected. I left each race grateful for the experience, but ultimately disappointed with myself. Running a race and training for a race turned out to be much different than I thought.

In April I ran my last training race, an 8k, with hopes for more success. When the gun went off I ran hard and fast. I knew immediately it would be impossible to keep up my ridiculous pace for all 5 miles. As I rounded the halfway point though, I realized that I had kept up the pace. In fact, I was reeling in people like fish and passing them! “Maybe I CAN do this!” The last half mile was the toughest part, but I pushed even harder and sprinted to the finish line. I ended up finishing 2.5 minutes faster than I had hoped for and had clocked a finish time that was faster than any of my training runs.

After that race I realized I was capable of pushing myself and I liked the idea of ultras more and more. They seemed attainable, possible, and heck even potentially enjoyable! It wasn’t long after that day that I started lining up ultras on my future race plans. A few 50ks next winter. A 50 miler next June. Then one day I said to myself “I am going to run 100 miles.” And saying it didn’t seem scary. It didn’t seem hopeless. It definitely seemed crazy, but a good kind of crazy.

Come on, how could you NOT want to do this? Doesn't it look like fun?
So that’s where I’m at now. That is ultimately what all my training will lead to. That is what it is all designed for. And hopefully, in June 2013, I will be running my first 100 miler. It would be great if my first 100 miler could be the historic Western States 100 in California. I will apply for it when registration opens in fall 2012, but its lottery-based, and there’s only a 1 in 12 or 13 chance that I’ll get in. If not, there are others on my list. Either way it will be a monumental moment. I imagine it will change my life, if not my entire being.  Until then though, its baby steps. A little more each week. And everyday I feel a little less crazy and ultras seem a little more normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!