Thursday, August 9, 2012

Instinct

Last night after dinner Mike and I headed out for a quick run. All was fine until about the 3 mile mark, when my mind started drifting. All of a sudden, in what was likely a combination of a serious foot shuffle on my part and a slight rise in the sidewalk to meet it, my right foot skidded instead of lifting straight off the ground and I started fly forward. I usually catch myself pretty quickly, but this time I couldn't seem to get a handle on it and I flung effortlessly forward more and more.

In the two seconds between the skid and me hitting the ground calculations started flying through my head. I could see it all playing out before me: my left leg trips my right, I hear the ankle crack, and then I'm on the ground. Only one thought screamed in my head: "Don't break you freaking ankle!"

And so, during those never-ending 2 seconds, when I knew I was going down no matter what, I instinctively somehow threw my legs out from under me, protecting what is most important, and caught myself with my left hand. Not even the right, because, let's face it, of the four limbs I have, I use two for running and one for writing and if one has got to go, it's gonna be lefty.

Of course I cried like a baby, 40% from pain and 60% from shock. My left hand was throbbing and I gashed it pretty good on the cement. I calmed down after a few minutes, dusted myself off and, throbbing hand included, finished the run.


By the time we got home the hand required immediate ice, but I gave it a thumbs up anyway, because guess what? My feet and ankles and legs are feeling just fine. :)

Ever taken a nasty fall on a run? I only have once before, during PHUNT 50k when I tripped and stubbed two of my toes. Seven months later and they still don't bend all the way. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay for picking the least used victim for injury?!? I've fallen a bunch but only one bad one. I was on the ground before I could even process any thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, it's a yearly occasion for me to trip and fall, usually ripping up both knees and hands. That's usually on flat sidewalks, so I fear getting back into trail running since there are actual obstacles with that. I still have scars on my knees from falling and the 2 seconds when you are falling are THE WORST in the world. The next worst thing is the slightly delayed pain you get from ripping open some body parts.

    Hope you heal quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH!
    I hope your hand recovers quickly.
    (Nothing's broken, I assume?)

    I've taken my share of nasty falls over the years, but mostly just bruised pride so far.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!