Sunday, April 15, 2012

Recipe For a Great Weekend

For me, there are four things that can help turn a plain, ol', boring weekend into a super, fantastic, awesome weekend:

1. Exercise

Sure, I spend many of the weekdays exercising too, but weekends are a chance to get out there for a longer workout. The more time sweating, the merrier I shall be!

I have been thinking of getting a new bike for the past month or so. I love my hybrid, but between carrying my books and gym clothes to work every day, it can get quite heavy. And, since we are possibly moving further out of the downtown area, it's made me want to upgrade to a road bike even more as my commute to work would be longer.

Dear Hybrid, I love you, but I need an upgrade!

So, when Mike suggested that we hit up the bike store Saturday morning I was all for it! I tested two bikes, but ended up falling in love with the Specialized Dolce. It's a beaut! One hour later we were out the door, me with my new bike and Mike with a new set of clip-in pedals and shoes.

Oh yeah, I also just downloaded Instagram, so now that I'm super cool you should prepare yourself for super cool pictures

We grabbed some water and hit the road. It's amazing what a little less weight can do for you. I still struggled with one of the hills when we hit the Manayunk area, but overall the ride was so much easier and enjoyable. We covered about 30 miles total before arriving back home. I look forward to taking my new baby out every weekend now hopefully!

For Sunday's workout I had 6 miles planned, which would be my longest run yet since my injury. I work up early and was out the door by 7.


The streets were empty and peaceful. It was drizzling just a little bit when I left, but the sun started to peak out on the way back. It was the kind of run that makes all the bad runs worth doing.

2. Productivity

Productive on a normal weekends means getting to the grocery store and getting my homework done. This weekend I maxed out the productivity and got all my wedding invites done on top of all the other stuff!

Four hand cramps, three mess-ups (yay extra envelopes!), and I seriously can't lick another envelope for  a year or so

3. Good Food

No commentary needed.




4. Good Friends

On Sunday morning after my run I went to cheer my friend Amy on for her first 10k. I have been coaching her for the Broad Street 10 Mile Run in early May and though the plan we had to create for her was very accelerated (she was a non-runner less than 3 months ago!), she's doing fantastic!


I'm so glad I got to be there to see her finish!

What is your recipe for a great weekend?

3 comments:

  1. We have twin bikes....mine is a diff color but I LOVE it! Congrats on the new purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lovely weekend!
    Congrats on the newest addition to your family. The bouncing baby bike is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! Mine definitely includes exercise, food, and friends. Oh, and SLEEP. Can't count that out. It feels sooooo good to sleep!!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!