Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Is It Worth It?

I've been doing a lot of thinking since running JFK two and a half weeks ago. I'm still dealing with knee pain. I tried running 3 miles on Monday and it started to ache at mile 2.5. I biked to work on Monday and Tuesday, which I think was good and bad. Good because I felt like my quads were getting stronger. Bad because bending the knee that much doesn't help anything. This morning I tried to run again, felt pain around mile 2, gave up a half mile later and walked home sulking.

The thinking I have been doing is about whether or not I really want to continue running ultras. Well, I want to do them, but I'm just not sure I want to deal with the aftermath. On the one hand its nice to have a goal race to train for and who knows how many miles I would really put down every week if I didn't have a 50 mile race looming in the back of my mind. On the other hand, in exchange for running so many miles in one day I have to give up miles on other days.

I love to run. I would run at least 10 miles every day if I could. The problem with loving to run so much, however, is that when I have to back off of running because of that big goal race it makes me hate that big goal race.

Other than laying down 50 miles in a single day on November 17th, I feel like I haven't really run much since October. Between a three week taper, which I hated, and the almost three weeks I've spent recovering/injured, which was okay at first but now officially sucks, I've lost a month a half because of JFK.

What would I really prefer to have? 6 weeks of regular running back in my life? Or a challenging race completed and checked off my list? Truthfully I don't know. I love challenging myself with ultras, but right now, honestly, I just rather be running.

Sidenote: This post will probably be completely null and void as soon as I'm uninjured and start wanting to feel like a badass again who runs 50 miles.

9 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are feeling! I'm sorry the knee pain is bothering you. I wonder if there is an underlying cause of the knee pain (imbalance in your muscle strength?). I know if I keep up with rolling and doing hip exercises, my knees feel much better, but I'm so forgetful. I have weak hips, so my knees can suffer because of that easily.

    Either way, I hope you heal up quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your knee! I completely understand how you are feeling though. JFK made me kind of resent running for several months this year. I'm committed to taking a break from them for a year and try to be a little more patient with my goals which I think are sometimes bigger in my mind and heart than my body can keep up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely hear you, I always think it's kind of funny how in order to do that one race SO many other days have little to no exercise. But you know you are going to be trolling active.com as soon as that knee feels better! I would just try to completely focus on cross training for now and give your body time to heal. Can you do any swimming or upper body stuff? Not the same, I know, but you might be less frustrated if you are at least getting some endorphins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I trained for an ultra, got hurt, and couldn't run it. While I think it's cool to have such a huge accomplishment, I made the decision that I'd rather be able to run regularly. It's nice to not have to run long miles if you don't want to - and to do it if you feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought about altering your form? I've heard ultra running requires a perfect form, and very strong feet as a result. Maybe do some short training runs is minimal or barefoot shoes. I plan on going this route when starting my main marathon training in March. I have been inspired by the same kind of knee thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel okay about my form and I actually already run in minimalist shoes (Saucony Kinvara is my favorite but I run in a host of others as well). I had a very tiny bout of knee pain about 1.5 years ago, switched to minimalist shoes, and the pain was completely gone and never returned until now). I think in my case I honestly just tried to run again too quickly after the race. I also think, considering I messed up my right knee during the race, that I over compensated with the left for the next 40 miles and that's why I'm having a left knee issue now.

      Definitely recommend the minimalist shoes though!

      Delete
  6. I've got minimalists right now (brooks PureCadence), but I don't get enough road feel anymore. I will just stick with those for longer runs, and go barefoot style for shorter distances. Good to hear good reviews though. There is so much conflicting info out there.

    Yeah, 40 miles is a lot of stress for one knee. If you want my opinion, I would say you are too young to worry about quitting ultras. If you do though, what about refocusing on a challenge like an ironman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Brooks Pure line! I have used the Grits and Flows a bunch. As for an Ironman, I really just don't like cycling at all. I commute to work on a road bike, but only out of desire to save money from taking the bus! I probably won't give up on ultras, but I do need to think smarter about recovery next time. After all, practice makes perfect.

      Delete
    2. The whole idea of an ultra just lets me know how far I still have to go. I respect what you do out there because it seems so crazy. At the same time, the idea of running for 50 miles excites my core.

      Delete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!