Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Running Q&A

Just because I'm not running doesn't mean I can't talk running. A runner's survey has been floating around the blogosphere the past few days. I swiped it from this girl. Surveys are fun, so let's do this thing!

1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?

Other. As in pretzels, Fig Newtons, Swedish Fish, raisins, animal crackers, M&Ms, you get the idea. Once upon a time I actually used gels and all of that crap, but then my stomach decided it wasn't cool with that anymore. It worked out nicely because ultras tend to have "real" food anyway and my stomach is ready to roll with that. My absolute fav? Darrell Lea Liquorice. Mango flavor is the best. Drooling right now thinking about it.


Pre-JFK shopping

2. Race Length: 5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?

Marathon. Hands down. I love the extra challenge of ultras, but 26.2 miles is just like heaven to me. A 20 mile long run + a 10k race. Sweet and simple. I used to dabble in shorter distances, but eventually decided that I rather save my money for marathons and ultras.

3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants, or Other?

Shorts. Specifically Lululemon Speed or Turbo Shorts. I do own one sparkle skirt, but rarely have an occasion to wear it.

4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?

Water and salt pills during the run. Electrolytes afterwards. I fell in love with Gatorade this summer for post-run delights. 95 degrees and 100% humidity will make your body beg for it.
 
5. Running temperatures: HOT or COLD?

Cold. 44 degrees to be precise.

6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics, or Other?

I spread the wealth to most of the major brands, but my one true love is the Saucony Kinvara. So many colors, you have to try them all!



7. Pre-Race Meal: Oatmeal. Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?

Banana and Nature Valley peanut butter granola bar.

8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other?

In a perfect world? Mondays off. That's it.

9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?

Both. I dig it on weekend long runs. I will not run with music in the dark, which pretty much counts out any early morning or evening weekday runs (in the fall/winter anyway). For marathons I usually try to get until mile 17/18 when I need the mental boost.

10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other?

Pure love baby. It makes me feel limitless (and the cupcakes don't hurt either).

Smiling at mile 49.9
 

4 comments:

  1. 100% agree with the 95 degrees and 100% humidity making your body beg for electrolytes. I am all about gatorade after runs too, just not during!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this! Love hearing what other runners do. I was so not smiling at mile 49.9 in that pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great survey!

    I deeefinitely need my music on runs.
    Those shoes are sooo cute!

    I've never worn a running skirt. People pull it off SO nicely. I have never even tried one on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I really want to try and use solid foods on long runs. It just makes sense to me.

    Good to get in your head a little bit. Interesting that you prefer marathons, despite being an ultra gal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!