Monday, July 1, 2013

Exhaustion and Rest Days

After a bit of a set back after the River Towns Marathon, I am very happy to be running pretty much back to normal. Normal being my usual 5 days per week of Tue-Wed-Thurs-Sat-Sun. I am also quite excited to be biking to work again. Our ride is about 16 miles round trip on a fairly flat path (except for the monster 0.2 mile hill to my front door). Over the winter I rarely biked. I just couldn't take the cold. And then it was cold until like April 30th so I wasn't doing much before then. And then I was in marathon recovery and then ITBS recovery and so it was only last week that I finally biked to and from work all five days.

Even though last summer I was managing 50 mpw running and the 75 mpw biking to and from work, my body definitely needs to adjust to get to that point. I realized yesterday that I've either biked, run, or more often done both every day the last 9 days. This explains why I am absolutely exhausted. I did practically nothing all weekend and I still barely dragged myself out of bed this morning. I know some of this is not just exercise related, but also leftover from the end of my summer class last week. Up until last Thursday evening, I had been in class 12 straight months. I am mentally and physically exhausted!

 I wish someone would carry me around when I got too sleepy to walk

Finally this morning I convinced myself to take the bus instead of biking and take a real rest day. It's easy for me to want to go-go-go all of the time, but without rest days you end up overtrained and overtired. Nine days is far too long to wait and in fact my paces were alraedy suffering late last week, which should have been a sign to take a day off. In the future I am going to keep Monday a true rest day, even if that means taking the stinky, slow bus.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there! I follow your blog and just wanted to say I am glad you are posting again! It's great to read your training - you really push yourself hard! - and it's a great motivation for me.

    Thanks!
    Gilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following Gilly! And best of luck with your training!

      Delete
  2. Whew your schedule is intense! Glad you took a rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are inspiring me for real! I was just thinking I need to start biking to work again now that it's summer. I hear ya on the exhaustion - I never thought it could be school related but I bet mine is too! We had 8 whole days in between spring and summer semester...um not enough!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!