Monday, August 5, 2013

Fall Marathon Season: 5 Weeks Out

Last week was a cut back week. I was shooting for about 40 miles, however I spent Saturday (my rest day) visiting my sister in NYC and we ended up walking 9+ miles. So, instead of setting out for a long run Sunday morning, I slept in and sat on the couch all day watching Breaking Bad on Netflix.


That is the beauty of having no specific training plan, my friends. You can play it all by ear. I was especially willing to take an extra rest day since I am starting the last three weeks of marathon training today. That means the next three weekends I will be putting away several 18-20 milers plus peaking my weekly mileage. If all goes well, I will be begging for taper by August 26th and ready to toe the start line at Lehigh Valley two weeks later.
 
Speaking of Lehigh Valley, I can't believe my first fall race is only 5 weeks away! This summer went crazy fast and though I'm not looking forward to classes starting and work getting busier, I am so ready for a change in seasons. Bring on the light sweaters, warm color palette, and crisp morning runs!
 
I have been doing some serious thinking about what my goals for Lehigh Valley. Originally I was hoping to BQ. Then I thought about it more and decided I would be happy enough with a PR since it will likely still be pretty warm out and maybe not ideal super-fast-running-weather. Now I am even questioning a PR because, you see, I haven't done any speed work all summer. Aside from my time in Berlin, all of my runs have been slow and lethargic. Even though the weather has cooled a little bit, its still too hot out for midday speed work on the treadmill (the only time I can get to the treadmill) and I definitely don't have enough energy to hit the track before work. Luckily, I have plenty of other marathons this fall to try and PR in, Philly being the strongest contender. I probably won't have any concrete goals for Lehigh Valley until the week of, but if I don't feel fast, I won't push it. I rather have a good time, chill out, and recover quickly for the rest of the season. Either way, I am siked for racing season to begin! Come on, fall!

3 comments:

  1. Your fall racing schedule looks pretty intense! It sounds like you've got a pretty solid idea of goals though. I think I'd try to PR at them all and then just be bummed when I (obviously) didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm really hoping I can reign my ego in and run some of them for actual fun and not destroy my legs trying to PR each time. We shall see!

      Delete
  2. Don't underestimate yourself, you've been training hard and slower humid runs can be cooler fall PRs!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!