Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Taper Crazies

This week I ran 19 miles over the weekdays, 10 trail miles Saturday, and 11 road miles Sunday. I think 10 miles is my perfect running distance. I would run it every day if I didn't have to do those pesky things like work and study and commute.

The perfect Saturday: Me, the trail, and the sound of my feet hitting the dirt

After my run on Saturday I actually biked down to the university library and did about 5 hours of research. Its amazing what I have the energy to do when I'm not putting in 40 mile weekends.

In other news, I took it as a good sign when I found myself completely exhausted at the end of peak week. That's kind of the point of it, right? Beat your body into an inch of its life and then enjoy a well deserved three week taper? 

Well despite my exhaustion after peak week, I'm already feeling a major case of the taper crazies. This low-to-me weekly mileage is really starting to tick me off and I've still got another 5 full days until race day. Hard to believe I used to complain about fitting in all the miles and now I would give anything for a 60 mile week. 

Luckily I have a few things to keep my mind busy over the next few days. I've got a super busy week at work, reading to do for classes, paper research, not to mention all of the race day prep.

The first part of my race prep is already done. In true Type A fashion, I typed up a 15 page race day manual for my husband and sister who will be crewing/pacing me through the event. You can never be too prepared, right?

5:30 pm dinners are not just for pre-race day - we rock the early bird schedule on a weekly basis

I still have to write myself a packing list, hit up the grocery store for essentials, and figure out what we're doing for dinner in Boonsboro Friday night. I don't want to drive around for an hour and debate where to go. We've got a schedule to stick to people!

I'm also planning another post on race goals and strategies for later this week. Hopefully all this will be enough to distract me from the taper crazies and the extra two pounds of junk in the trunk that the last two weeks have brought. One thing is for sure: I will be ready to run come Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. I love your 15 page manual for your crew. Hope you don't go too crazy this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap! Can you email me that document? I usually am way more on top of thing but this week I've been totally overwhelmed as a result spent my weekend being a lazy piece of crap. My plan was to print directions to the first spectator point when we exit the AT trail for my husband and put a change of clothes in a bag Friday night. Now I feel so unprepared! And lazy! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic running week! I've read so many people running trails recently and I wanna give it a go now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trails are definitely a lot of fun...once you get over the fear of tripping anyway haha

      Delete
  4. I raced the Media Mud Stain 10-mile trail race on Sunday - nice trails at Ridley State Park! I recommend it for you next year... fun little race!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments like I love chocolate. Leave 'em!